Friday, November 18, 2011

Keep you up to date

Not much has been going on, but I have a lot to blog about. First off, I want to remind you all about the ball that I went to on Nov. 4th. I posted some pictures and told aobut how much fun I had and how lovely the night was. A few days ago, I look at the front cover of the marine times and I see a headline about us going "too far" so then, I opened it up and read the article. Basically, explaining how some marines saw our attire as disrespectful. One marine even went as far as to say she was disgusted by our outfits. Then, the article went even further and published a comment made by Sgt. Christopher Lance, saying that we never earned the eagle globe and anchor, implying that we as spouses to deployed marines had no right to wear it. This really struck a chord with me, so naturally, I wrote back. This was my response that I sent to the Marine Times in regards to Sgt. Lance's quote:


Sgt. Christopher Lance quoted in last week’s article about the deployed spouses ball at Camp Lejeune that marine spouses, more precisely marine spouses to deployed marines, have not “earned the right to wear the eagle, globe and anchor.” I ask you, Sgt. Lance, what exactly does one have to do to earn that right? Is it basic training? Is it undergoing experience in a combat situation? Is it shooting a rifle? Running in cadence? Standing in formation? I ask because marine spouses, along with their marines, also make sacrifices every day for the Marine Corps. You are saying to me, that through a spouse’s sacrifices and trials, they have not earned the right to wear the eagle, globe, and anchor.  Can you tell that to a young widow who has lost her husband who proudly wears an eagle, globe and anchor around her neck, that she has not earned that? Can you tell the woman who carries a purse with the eagle globe and anchor to the deployment homecoming of her husband, that she has not earned the right to wear it? Do you have to be a marine to earn it, Sgt. Lance? Because the eagle globe and anchor, does not make the person wearing it a marine. It is a symbol. It is a symbol of the brotherhood and family that the Marine Corps is. It is not a title, it is not a rank. It is a sign. It is a declaration that the Marine Corps is in the wearer’s heart. It is in their minds. It is in their souls.

Chrissy Hendrix Cherry Point, NC


I'm really tired of this deployment now. I talked to Jordan very briefly today. The next time we get to talk is on Tuesday. FML

No comments:

Post a Comment